Snickerdoodles have been a favorite since their creation in the 1800’s. With this recipe, you too can enjoy this chewy treat.
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, partially melted
½ cup shortening
1 ¾ cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
Making The Dough:
- Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the butter and shortening in the bowl of a standing electric mixer. ( an electric hand mixer will also work) Beat on low to medium speed until light and creamy.
- Add 1 ½ cups of sugar in a slow, steady stream and continue to mix.
- On low speed, add the eggs one at a time.
- Add the vanilla and when blended, slowly beat in the dry mixture.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Combine the remaining ¼ cup of sugar with the cinnamon. Set aside.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and unwrap.
- Roll the dough into 1 ¼ inch balls.
- Roll each ball in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and coat evenly.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet about 2 ½ inch apart.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until light brown.
Note: Do NOT overbake or the cookies will be hard and dry.
After removing the cookies from the oven, you can store them in an airtight container for up to a week. I have made these cookies many times and they never cease to impress friends and family. Enjoy!
By: Ryan Roco
Photo Credits: Ryan Roco